December 28, 2012

Piedmont cancels rest of men's basketball season

The huddle would apparently have been quite small for Piedmont this semester.
Piedmont athletics photo by Jasper Lee

Piedmont athletic director John Dzik has announced that the remainder of the school's 2012-13 men's basketball schedule has been cancelled. After conferring with Piedmont administration and the coaching staff, it was agreed that this was the only course of action available at this time.

“A myriad of circumstances including suspensions, dismissals, and career and season ending injuries has decimated the team. We were left with too few able-bodied student athletes to continue the season” said Dzik. “Although we regret taking this action, the welfare of our student-athletes and coaches is our paramount concern. We will take the necessary steps to put the program on solid footing for the 2013-14 season.”

No further detail was given. Twelve players had appeared in games for the Lions so far this season, with seven players appearing in all seven games. Piedmont started the season 0-7. It's the first season under Mark Bollinger, who replaced Lee Glenn as head coach this past offseason.

"I am very proud of the core group of student-athletes remaining in our program,” Bollinger said. “They have met the high expectations we placed on them on the court, in the classroom, on campus and in the community. My coaching staff is looking forward to the opportunity to recruit high-character, talented and intelligent young men as we continue the process of building a championship-caliber program that Piedmont College can be proud of on and off of the court."
 
“We are most appreciative of the efforts and leadership of Coach Bollinger and his staff in this his first year at the helm of our men’s basketball program,” states executive vice president for institutional resources, John Misner. “Furthermore, we look forward to his continuing leadership as we immediately begin the rebuilding process.”

Piedmont was next scheduled to host Emory on Jan. 2. The Lions' first-ever season of USA South competition in men's basketball will have to wait for 2013-14. 

comments powered by Disqus

What We're Reading