- Score: MIT 78, Simmons University 46
- Records: MIT (1-0); Simmons (0-1)
- Location: Boston, Mass. (Moore Gymnasium)
- The Lead: A 15-4 run during the second quarter helped the MIT women's basketball team pull away and defeat Simmons University, 78-46, in its season opener on Thursday night. One of four players to reach double digits in scoring, senior Sophie Gershon (New York, N.Y.) led the Engineers with a career-high 17 points to go along with five rebounds, two blocks, and two steals.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Trailing 5-0, a three-pointer by senior Kara Holinski (Livonia, Mich.) sparked a 16-2 run that spanned almost five minutes and put MIT ahead for good.
- Simmons narrowed the gap to three on two occasions, the last at 18-15 with 9:19 on the clock in the second quarter. The Engineers responded with a Gershon put-back, kicking off a 15-4 run that gave MIT a 33-19 advantage at halftime.
- The Engineers outscored the Sharks, 30-13, in the third quarter, putting the game out of reach.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Senior Dolly Yuan (San Jose, Calif.) tallied 16 points, five rebounds, five assists, and three steals while Holinski registered 13 points, five assists, and two steals.
- Sophomore Kylie Gallagher (Upton, Mass.) posted 10 points and seven boards as freshman Christina Antonakakis (Holmdel, N.J.) totaled nine points, three rebounds, three assists, and three steals in her intercollegiate debut.
- MIT will travel to Endicott College on Sunday, Nov. 12 for a 1:00 p.m. tip-off.