BRUNSWICK, Maine – The second-ranked Bowdoin women's basketball team sprinted past MIT, 78-57, in a non-conference win at Morrell Gymnasium on Sunday afternoon.
The Polar Bears remain unbeaten at 4-0 this season and boast a 43.8 point average margin of victory on the year. MIT drops their second straight game to a top-ten team and falls to 3-2 this season.
- Hot early shooting by the Engineers put the Polar Bears in an early hole as the visitors held a 14-10 lead following a Kara Holinski three-pointer with 3:37 left in the first quarter.
- Bowdoin got hot from the field, sparked by a Hannah Graham three-pointer, to close the quarter on a 15-5 surge to take a 25-19 lead at the end of the frame.
- The Polar Bears clamped down defensively in the second quarter, holding MIT to 28% shooting in the period as they slowly pulled away.
- The Engineers came within three points after a Kristen Ngan three-pointer, 29-26, but Bowdoin closed the half on a 14-4 run to take a 43-30 lead into halftime.
- Bowdoin put all thoughts of a comeback to bed with a 9-0 run out of the gate in the second half, keyed by another Graham three-pointer.
- The Polar Bear lead sat at over 20 points for almost the entirety of the second half as Bowdoin led by as many as 27 points in the fourth quarter en route to the win.
By The Numbers
- Eleven different players scored for Bowdoin, led by 16 and six rebounds from Cordelia Stewart and 14 points off the bench from Hannah Graham.
- Taylor Chote (12) and Maddie Hasson (10) also saw double figures while Samantha Roy had seven points and eight assists.
- Taylor V'Dovec battled foul trouble to score a team-high 13 points for MIT. Kristen Ngan and Kara Holinski had 11 points each for the Engineers.
- Bowdoin finished at 50.8% shooting for the game and held MIT to 34.5% from the field. The Polar Bears owned a 41-32 edge in rebounding and cashed in 17 points off 17 MIT turnovers.
- Bowdoin has the week off and will return to action next Saturday, December 1 at Colby at 2:00 p.m.
- MIT hosts NEWMAC foe Babson College on Wednesday at 7:00 p.m.