WAYNE, N.J. – Sophomore forward Vianca Soriano (New Milford, N.J./New Milford) posted a double-double of 12 points and 11 rebounds and senior guard Alisa Giordano(Wood-Ridge, N.J./Wood-Ridge) poured in a career-best 20 points as the William Paterson women's basketball team (2-3) registered a 63-54 victory over Cabrini (2-3) Nov. 26.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Holding a slim 24-19 advantage at the break, senior guard Julie Rovito's (Ridgefield Park, N.J./Ridgefield Park) three-point play just 15 seconds into the third period fueled a 15-2 Pioneers run that blew the game wide open. WP would continue to dominate the third stanza, outscoring Cabrini 22-12 in the frame.
- Trailing by as many as 16 points (57-41) the Cavaliers would attempt to mount a dramatic comeback at the end, but would get no close than seven points as the Pioneers held on the for the 63-54 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Giordano's career night saw the senior shoot 5-of-8 (.625) from the floor and a perfect 8-8 from the charity stripe. Rovito and Ema Jacketti (Beacon, N.Y./Beacon) each chipped in nine point apiece.
- Soriano led all players with 11 boards as WP outmuscled Cabrini on the glass, holding a 41-32 advantage.
- The Pioneers dominated the paint and held a 28-16 margin down low.
- The Pioneers resume conference action on Wednesday, Nov. 26, as New Jersey City University visits the Sports and Recreation Center at 6:00 p.m.
FOLLOW THE PIONEERS: