(CHICAGO, Ill.) – The fourth-ranked Thomas More University women's basketball team defeated fifth-ranked University of Chicago, 84-71, tonight (Monday, December 3, 2018) in a Top-5 showdown at the Ratner Athletic Complex in Chicago, Illinois. The Saints remain undefeated at 8-0 and the Maroons fall to 6-1.
- Chicago jumped out to a 12-5 lead with 4:27 to play in the first quarter.
- The Saints responded to close out the first quarter and the second quarter on a 26-16 run to take a 31-28 lead at halftime.
- Senior forward Shelby Rupp (Milan, Ind./Batesville) led the team in the first half with seven points and four rebounds.
- Senior guard Madison Temple (Cincinnati, Ohio/Anderson) and first-year guard Asyah Mitchell (Kenton County, Ky./Cooper) each added six points.
- Thomas More opened the third quarter on a 21-8 run to take its largest lead of the game at 52-36 when junior guard Kaela Sanner (Florence, Ky./Boone County) made a three-pointer with 1:52 to play in the quarter.
- Chicago would close the third quarter and begin the fourth quarter on a 25-9 run to tie the game at 61-6-1 with 5:17 to play in the game.
- Undaunted, the Saints close out the game on a 23-10 run to post the 84-71 victory.
- Thomas More host 61.5 percent from the field in the second half as it connected on 16-of-26 shots from the field.
- Temple had 20 points and four rebounds in the half.
- Junior forward Emily Schultz (Melbourne, Ky./Bishop Brossart) had 10 points, five rebounds and blocked four shots in the second half.
- Thomas More dominated in the paint as it out-scored Chicago 38-22 in the paint.
- The Saints had a 12-4 advantage in points off fast breaks.
- Four Saints finished in double-digit scoring.
- Temple led all scorers with 26 points, while she pulled down six boards, dished out five assists and had four steals.
- Rupp had 15 points and seven rebounds.
- Mitchell finished the game with 13 points and three steals.
- Schultz had 12 points, eight rebounds, four blocks and two steals.
- Thomas More returns to the hardwood on Wednesday (December 5) when it travels to Marietta, Ohio to play Marietta College.
- Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. inside Ban Johnson Arena.