DARTMOUTH, Mass. – UMass Dartmouth posted a season-best 103 points to clip the Colonials, 103-66, in Little East Conference action that featured four different Corsairs in double-figure scoring at the Tripp Athletic Center on Thursday afternoon. Host freshman Shaelyn Carreiro (Fall River, Mass.) led the way with 18 on 9-10 shooting while teammate Kayla McMahon (Hanover, Mass.) submitted a near double-double of eight points and nine boards.
With 16 points in the matinee matchup, Western Connecticut senior guard Jancy Sherwood (Poughquag, N.Y.) became the 19th member of the Colonial 1,000-Point club with a bucket in the third quarter to account for the latest addition since Caroline Brasa inserted herself in 2015.
How It Happened
- Four Corsair layups and a long-ball accounted for the game's first 11 points, getting contributions from seniors Nakira Examond (New Bedford, Mass.) and Danyel Gonzalez (Pawtucket, R.I.), McMahon and sophomore Meagan Donovan (Abington, Mass.).
- UMass Dartmouth was running and gunning often in the opening stanza, pouring in 14 fast break points. Carreiro benefitted from her hustle down the floor as she got eight of the bench's 10 points in five minutes. Western Connecticut kept the contest within reach (23-13) behind the efforts of freshman Samantha Garcia (Highland, N.Y.) and Sherwood, who notched five and six points, respectively.
- McMahon finally broke the four-minute scoring drought that initiated the second period, hitting a layup at the 6:07 mark off the pass from sophomore Ashley Brown (Fairhaven, Mass.). The bucket sparked another streak of 11 straight points for the hosts to stretch the margin to 21 (34-13).
- Just over a minute after the intermission, Sherwood banked home the right side runner to add a comma to her career point total.
- Donovan was a major defensive presence that muzzled the Colonial scoring to 6-21 shooting (28.6%) as she swatted a trio of shots as part of her game-high five total.
Inside The Numbers
- UMass Dartmouth's 103 points ties its second best offensive performance in school history. Last year's unit posted 103 in the season-opener against Rivier before scoring 105 against Western Connecticut on Jan. 27, 2018.
- The Corsairs owned the fast break margin, 42-10, as well as the battle in the paint, 76-26.
- Sherwood ended the day with 16 scores for 1,006 overall, surpassing Colonial graduate Alex Hall (1,004) for 18th all-time.
- The Blue and Gold hit its stride on offense in the third, shooting a red-hot 81.3% (13-16), to put up 31.
Western Connecticut hosts its Alumnae Day on Saturday, squaring off against Plymouth State at 1 p.m. The Corsairs will head up to Castleton University that afternoon, taking the hardwood at 2 p.m.