MAHWAH, N.J. – Down by three points in the game's final seconds, the William Paterson women's basketball team (8-8, 4-5 NJAC) saw its potential game-tying three just miss the mark as the Pioneers dropped a 53-50 decision to Ramapo (8-8, 3-6 NJAC) Jan. 12.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- With Ramapo holding a slight edge, 12-10, after the first period, WP was held scoreless for nearly five minutes to start the second as the home side pushes their lead to nine points (19-10) and entered halftime with a 28-21 advantage.
- William Paterson was able to find its offensive rhythm following intermission as the Pioneers regained the lead following a 9-0 burst capped off by Julie Rovito's (Ridgefield Park, N.J./Ridgefield Park)jumper at the 4:48 mark. Late in the quarter, with the Roadrunners clinging to a four-point lead (39-35), freshman Chloe Kasbarian (Midland Park, N.J./Midland Park) drilled a long three-pointer at the buzzer as WP trailed by one at the start of the final 10 minutes. After Ramapo converted a pair of free throws to take a 53-50 lead with just six seconds remaining, William Paterson had one last possession to force overtime, however, Rovito's trey was off the mark and the Roadrunners came away with the 53-50 decision.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Senior CeCe Green (Boonton, N.J./Boonton) poured in a team-high 12 points and added six rebounds, while Brianna Brooks (Saddle Brook, N.J./Saddle Brook) finished her afternoon by registering 10 tallies and eight boards.
- Rovito's 11 rebounds were a season-high and Alisa Giordano (Wood-Ridge, N.J./Wood-Ridge) led all players in steals (3) and assists (4).
- WP committed a season-low four turnovers while forcing Ramapo into 14 miscues.
- WP welcomes Montclair State to the Sports & Recreation Center on Wednesday, Jan. 16, at 6:00 p.m.
FOLLOW THE PIONEERS: