GLASSBORO, N.J. – After turning a 12-point halftime deficit into a one-possession game early in the fourth quarter, the William Paterson women's basketball team (12-11, 8-8 NJAC) could not keep pace offensively with Rowan (14-9, 12-4), falling to the Profs 74-53 Feb. 6.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- With WP holding an early 4-2 lead, Rowan used a 13-0 run to build a double-digit lead and held a 16-9 edge after 10 minutes. In the second, the Pioneers were able to keep pace with the Profs as consecutive jumper from CeCe Green (Boonton, N.J./Boonton)and Alisa Giordano (Wood-Ridge, N.J./Wood-Ridge) trimmed the deficit to 10 (39-29, 0:39) just before half. However, Rowan would knock down a pair of free throws and take a 41-29 advantage into the break.
- In the third, it was all William Paterson. Carolyn Hill (Martinsburg, W.Va./Spring Mills) drained four-straight from the charity stripe and Julie Rovito (Ridgefield Park, N.J./Ridgefield Park) knocked down a mid-range jumper with 18 second remaining as WP outscored ROW 18-9 in the period and trailed 50-47 entering the fourth. After Green's steal and fastbreak layup made it a one-point affair (50-49, 9:36), shooting struggles began to doom the Pioneers. WP was held scoreless for nearly seven minutes as Rowan scored 18 unanswered points to put the game out of reach, ultimately cruising to the 74-53 decision.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Hill tied her career-best with 11 rebounds to go along with six points and a block.
- Green and Rovito both scored in double figures, finishing with 17 and 11, respectively.
- With wins by both Kean and Rutgers-Camden, WP falls to seventh in the New Jersey Athletic Conference (NJAC) standings with just two games remaining.
- WP celebrates Senior Day on Saturday, Feb. 9, when the Pioneers host Ramapo at 1:00 p.m.
FOLLOW THE PIONEERS: