Center Valley, PA (February 9, 2019) - The #16 DeSales University women's basketball team held Misericordia University to just 20.7 percent shooting tying the all-time record with its 16th straight win, 66-45, over the Cougars in MAC Freedom action on Saturday afternoon clinching the top seed in the MAC Freedom Tournament in two weeks.
- Final Score: DeSales - 66, Misericordia - 45
- Records: DeSales (21-2, 12-0 Conf); Misericordia (19-4, 8-4 Conf.)
- The win is DSU's 16th straight overall and its 16th straight at home. The 16-straight overall ties the all-time record set during the end of the 2002 season and the start of the 2003 season.
- The Bulldogs clinch the MAC Freedom Regular Season Championship and the #1 seed in the MAC Freedom Tournament in two weeks with the win.
- It is the most wins under head coach Fred Richter since the 2009 season when DSU won 23 games.
How it Happened
- The Cougars used a 10-2 run early to take a 10-6 lead before the Bulldogs countered with an 8-0 spurt to claim a 14-10 advantage.
- DSU closed the first quarter scoring the final five points over the span of four minutes to take a 19-12 advantage.
- Up nine (23-14) early in the second quarter, DeSales used another small run (9-0) capped off by a three from freshman Averi Jordan to take a 32-14 advantage with 6:39 left in the half.
- The Bulldogs led by at least 15 the rest of the half before taking a 40-22 advantage into the halftime locker room.
- Both teams struggled mightily to score to open the second-half as the two combined for two points over the first five minutes.
- Misericordia got within 13 points late in the quarter but a jumper from junior Molly Jansco and three from sophomore Isabel Caruso to end the stanza pushed the margin back to 18 after three quarters of play.
- DSU cruised in the fourth quarter as the lead never dropped below 17 points before the final 21-point tally.
Top Bulldog Performers
- Jordan and fellow freshman Samantha Shinkus each tallied a game-high 13 points in the win.
- Senior Morgan Birmelin added 12 points, four assists, and five steals.
- Caruso finished with nine, while senior Bridget Walsh had seven rebounds and five blocks.
For the Foes
- Kalynn Sefcik finished with a team-high nine points off the bench for the Cougars.
- Jordan Barth added six points and a game-high 12 boards.
Inside the Box Score
- DSU's defense swarmed the Cougars into 20.7 percent shooting, while the Bulldogs hit 42.6 percent from the field.
- MU won the battle of the boards, out-rebounding DSU, 44-40.
- DeSales scored 22 points off 19 Cougar turnovers and had 32-12 advantage in points in the paint.
- The Bulldogs will look to break the consecutive wins record on the road as they travel to Eastern University for another MAC Freedom battle with the Eagles who have won five straight in conference play. Tip is set for 6:00 pm.