WAYNE, N.J. – Senior guard Julie Rovito (Ridgefield Park, N.J./Ridgefield Park) led all scorers with 18 points and CeCe Green (Boonton, N.J./Boonton) added 10 points and nine rebounds, but William Paterson women's basketball (12-12, 8-9, NJAC) fell to Ramapo (10-14, 5-12 NJAC) on Senior Day 58-49.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- After the Roadrunners raced out to a 9-3 lead, Brianna Brooks' (Saddle Brook, N.J./Saddle Brook)layup, coupled with Alisa Girdano's three-pointer made it a one-point game late in the first quarter. Ramapo would regain a four-point edge, but Green's driving layup cut the deficit to two after 10 minutes. Back-and-forth action highlighted most of the second period until Ramapo went on a 7-2 run late and held a 25-19 advantage with 34 seconds left in the half. Following a Roadrunners miss, Chloe Kasbarian (Midland Park, N.J./Midland Park) grabbed the defensive rebound and found a wide-open Green who buried a long trifecta at the buzzer.
- The third period belonged to Ramapo as the visitors capitalized off of WP miscues to outscore the Pioneers 14-6 in the frame and take an 11-point lead (39-28) into the fourth. Rovito opened the final period with a layup and a pair of three-pointers, cutting the deficit to three and forcing a Ramapo timeout. William Paterson would keep it a two-possession game for most of the final stanza, but Ramapo would pull away late and ice the game at the line to secure the victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Rovito and Green led the way in scoring with 18 and 10, respectively, while Giordano and Kye Adams(East Stroudsburg, Pa./East Stroudsburg South) chipped in six points apiece.
- Defensively, WP forced 31 Ramapo miscues as Giordano led the way with five steals.
- With the loss, WP remains seventh in the New Jersey Athletic Conference (NJAC) standings with one game remaining.
- Prior to the game, William Paterson honored its four seniors – CeCe Green (Boonton, N.J./Boonton), Carolyn Hill (Martinsburg, W.Va./Spring Mills), Julie Rovito (Ridgefield Park, N.J./Ridgefield Park) and Simone Small (Blackwood, N.J./Paul VI).
- WP concludes its regular season at The College of N.J. Wednesday, Feb. 13, at 6:00 p.m.
FOLLOW THE PIONEERS: