ODAC sets up rematch; Babson survives

Babson played in front of a packed house. And before that, Trinity and Bates played in front of a differently packed house. More photos from this game.
Photo by Pat Coleman, D3sports.com 

Babson made it to the round of eight for the first time in program history and Randolph-Macon and Virginia Wesleyan set up a rematch of the Old Dominion Athletic Conference title game as all four host schools advanced to the Elite 8 on Friday night.

The Beavers survived as Johns Hopkins' top scorer, Jimmy Hammer, had a 3-point look at the buzzer that hit off the front iron and Joey Flannery collected the rebound and ran out the clock to secure a 49-47 win. Photo gallery It was the second game of the night that featured a standing room only crowd at Babson, as a packed house saw Trinity (Conn.) defeat Bates, then the gym cleared out and a new standing room crowd saw the second game.

Kaelin Poe scored 16 points and pulled down a game-high 14 rebounds to lead No. 9 Virginia Wesleyan past No. 10 Dickinson 75-65 in the first game at Randolph-Macon. Dickinson entered the game with one of the tallest lineups the Marlins have seen all season. Five Red Devils who played stood anywhere from 6-6 to 6-11, but it was the 6-5 Poe who led the way as part of a quicker Marlins lineup. In the second game, Joe Hassell picked up his eighth double-double of the season, with 21 points and 10 rebounds, to lift top-ranked Randolph-Macon to a 64-57 win vs. St. John Fisher. 

Trinity closed the first half on a 15-3 run to take a 33-22 lead into the locker room and the Bantams held NESCAC rival Bates at bay in the second half en route to a 79-62 win. Jaquann Starks led Trinity with 20 points, while Shay Ajayi added 16 points and 14 boards. Photo gallery

Stephen Pelkofer throws one down for two of his career-high 20 points for UW-Stevens Point. More photos from this game.
Photo by Steve Frommell, d3photography.com 

East Texas Baptist ended the Cinderella run of Northwestern, as the Tigers held the Eagles to just 30 percent shooting from the floor taking the Sweet 16 game, 70-46. Jamil Samuel recorded a double-double with 14 points and 11 rebounds as one of three Tigers to score in double figures. ETBU had a 20-7 run in the first half and started the second half with a 13-2 stretch. Photo gallery

The Tigers, who have yet to play a ranked team in this tournament, take a big step up the ladder on Saturday, as they face host and No. 8-ranked UW-Stevens Point, which defeated No. 11 Emory 73-53. Stephen Pelkofer scored a career-high 20 points for the Pointers, who improved to 24-5. Photo gallery

Marietta rallied from a 12-point second-half deficit and the No. 12 Pioneers surived to get past St. Olaf 79-72. Ben Figini scored 13 points in the first half for the No. 24 Oles (23-6), but was held to five in the second half as Marietta rallied. 

Following the under-12 media timeout, A.J. Edwards took over the game scoring on four consecutive Pioneer possessions. Figini picked up his fourth foul of the game and went to the bench with 7:47 left in the game and the Oles clinging to a four-point lead, 59-55.

A free throw and three more Edwards buckets knotted the game at 61 with just over six minutes left in the game.  RaNeal Ewing stole the ball on St. Olaf's next possession and raced down the court for the easy layup and Marietta's first lead of the half, 63-61. The Pioneers would not trail again.

The Pioneers face host Augustana, which was led by Ben Ryan's 26 points and Hunter Hill's 16 in an 82-69 win vs. Mount Union.