ANGOLA, Ind. - The Adrian College men's basketball team defeated No. 3 ranked Wisconsin-Whitewater, 66-53 to open the St. Andrews Products Classic hosted by Trine University. It's the first time the Bulldogs have beaten a top-three team in program history. Justin Webster tallied his second double-double of the season with 29 points and 12 rebounds.
Final Score: Adrian 66, #3 Wisconsin-Whitewater 53
Location: Angola, Indiana (Hershey Hall)
Records: Adrian (4-2), Wisc.-Whitewater (6-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Adrian rallied back from an 18-10 deficit to tie the game at 20 with 6:58 remaining in the first half. The teams traded baskets before the Warhawks went on a seven-point run to reclaim a 29-22 lead. Webster cut the lead to four points with the final shot of the first half, a three-pointer, with just 23 seconds remaining in the half. UWW took a 29-25 lead into the locker room for halftime.
Whitewater increased their lead to nine points in the opening two and a half minutes of the second half. Webster made a jump shot to bring the Bulldogs within a point of tying the game, 37-36. Sam Colbert hit a trey to give Adrian a 39-37 lead, the team's first lead of the second half. The score remained close for the most of the rest of the half with the Warhawks cutting the Bulldog lead to one-point multiple times, but Adrian was able to keep the lead.
The Bulldogs scored seven straight points to increase the lead to eight points, 56-48, with just 2:16 remaining. Adrian went 8-for-10 from the free throw line in the final two minutes of regulation to seal the victory for the Bulldogs.
• Webster shot 9-12 (0.750) from the floor, 1-1 (1.000) from behind the arc, and 10-13 (0.769) from the charity stripe.
• Tre'Shon Heard went 4-5 (0.800) from the floor to score 13 points in the game. He also hauled in seven boards to contribute on defense.
• Sam Cobert tallied eight points, two assists, three rebounds, and one steal on the night.
• Mitchell Pfeifer (5-11) was the team's leading scorer with 13 points.
• Derek Rongstad had a team-high 10 rebounds while scoring six points.
• Andre Brown and Maurquis Turner each registered 11 points.
The Bulldogs will face Wisconsin Lutheran College on the second day of the St. Andrews Products Classic on Saturday, December 9. Tip-off is scheduled for 3:00 p.m., ET