YORK, PA – The York College men's basketball team used a 16-6 run over the final five minutes of the game to post a 72-59 win over Dickinson College in the season opener at Wolf Gymnasium on Thursday night in York. The Spartans started out the game holding the Red Devils scoreless over the first 8:30 and ended the game on the big run as they opened the season with a win for the fifth time in the seven seasons under head coach Matt Hunter.
Final Score: York 72, Dickinson 59
Records: York 1-0, Dickinson 0-1
Field Goals: York 24-for-60, Dickinson 21-for-61
Field Goal %: York 40.0%, Dickinson 34.4%
Three Point FG: York 10-for-32, Dickinson 5-for-21
Three Point FG %: York 31.3%, Dickinson 23.8%
Free Throws: York 14-for-18, Dickinson 12-for-19
Free Throw %: York 77.8%, Dickinson 63.2%
Rebounds: York 42, Dickinson 41
Assists: York 14, Dickinson 9
Turnovers: York 21, Dickinson 22
Blocked Shots: York 3, Dickinson 1
Steals: York 11, Dickinson 10
How It Happened
• The Spartan defense could not have been any better to start the game as they made 16 consecutive defensive stops to open the game. Unfortunately for York, they also scuffled on offense as they held just a 15-0 advantage before the Red Devils broke the seal.
• York maintained a double digit lead until Ryan Devine hit a pair of free throws to cut the York lead to eight at 23-15. Dickinson eventually cut the Spartan lead to six at 28-22 but York ended the half with four straight points to take a 32-22 lead to the break.
• The first half stats weren't pretty as York shot 35.5% from the field including just 3-of-15 from distance. The Red Devils also struggled from the field as they went 7-for-27 (25.9%) from the field and 2-for-9 from three. The two squads combined for 25 turnovers in the opening 20 minutes of play.
• The second half continued to be a grind on the offensive end for both teams. The Spartan lead was 11 just over two minutes into the half but after that, the Red Devils continued to chip away at the Spartan advantage. The Red Devils hit York with a 10-2 run, trimming York's lead to three at 38-35. York answered with a 12-7 spurt, pushing the lead back to eight with 9:50 left in the game.
• The Red Devils ripped off eight straight points, cutting York's lead to one with 8:02 left in the game. York pushed back with a pair of huge Zach Novick three pointers in the span of 42 seconds, giving York a 56-51 lead. Dickinson's Elijah Wood hit a lay-up with 5:52 left, setting the stage for the Spartans' game-ending run.
• Junior point guard Jared Wagner started the run with a three-point play. After a stop, Joey Polczynski hit a tough lay-up, putting York up 61-53. The Spartans got another stop and Jason Bady hit a lay-up to put York up 10 with 3:43 left. Mike Hinckley converted a lay up to cut the Spartan lead to eight but the Spartans ripped off nine straight points to remove all doubt as the lead grew to a game-high 17 points.
Jason Bady: 13 points ,5 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 blocked shot, 1 steal
Jared Wagner: 12 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals
Joey Polczynski: 10 points, 10 rebounds, 1 steal
Darin Gordon: 11 points, 9 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 blocked shots, 2 steals
Colin Rimel: 11 points, 3 rebounds
Zach Novick: 10 points, 3 rebounds, 4 steals
Red Devil Leaders
Bryce Allen: 18 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal
Elijah Wright: 14 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals
Ryan Devine: 8 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist
Mike Jurzynski: 7 points, 8 rebounds, 1 blocked shot, 1 assist, 3 steals
The Spartans lead the all-time series against the Red Devils 12-8 as York has won three straight against Dickinson … York has won four straight season openers and are now 5-2 all-time under seventh year head coach Matt Hunter … York is 2-1 at home in season openers under coach Hunter … junior Joey Polczynski set a new career-high with 10 rebounds as he recorded his first career double-double … junior Zach Novick recorded a career-high four steals in the victory … junior Darin Gordon tied his career-high with nine rebounds while he also tied his career-high with two blocked shots … the Spartans placed six players in double figures in scoring.
The Spartans return to action on Sunday afternoon as the Green and White hosts nationally ranked Johns Hopkins University in a key regional contest. Tip time against the #15 Blue Jays is set for 3:00 pm at Charles Wolf Gymnasium.