ASHLAND, Va. - Senior Montese Adams (Richmond, Va./Fuqua) recorded his second straight double-double with 15 points and 13 rebounds, and sophomore Buzz Anthony (Arnold, Md./Archbishop Spalding) had his third career double-double with 13 points and a career-high 13 assists, as the 17th-ranked Randolph-Macon men's basketball team outscored Washington and Lee 84-76 in ODAC action Wednesday evening in Crenshaw Gym.
Score: Randolph-Macon 84, Washington and Lee 76
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Crenshaw Gym
Records: R-MC 8-0, 2-0 ODAC; W&L 4-2, 0-1 ODAC
How It Happened
- The Yellow Jackets trailed 8-5 before three-pointers by junior Corey Bays (Bel Air, Md./CM Wright) and Adams sparked a 6-2 run as R-MC took an 11-10 lead with 14:30 left in the first half. The Generals were up 12-11 before buckets by senior Luke Neeley (Orange Va./Woodberry Forest), junior Korey Turner (Midlothian, Va./Amelia Academy) and Anthony gave the Yellow Jackets a 17-12 advantage with 12:25 remaining. R-MC led 20-15 before a 13-3 run by W&L gave the visitors a 28-23 edge with 6:25 left. Consecutive layups by Adams, senior Grayson Midulla (Glen Allen, Va./Glen Allen) and freshman Ian Robertson (Lewes, Del./Cape Henlopen) gave the Yellow Jackets a 29-28 lead with 5:15 left. The Generals used a 15-5 spurt to go ahead 43-34 with 1:10 remaining. Adams and Anthony buried treys before W&L had the final basket of the half to take a 45-40 lead to the locker room at the break. Midulla paced the Yellow Jackets with 10 first-half points.
- Senior Darryl Williams (Columbia, Md./Glenelg Country) had layups to bookend a 9-2 run for R-MC at the start of the second half as the Yellow Jackets reclaimed the lead at 49-47 with 17:15 left in the second period. Neeley had a layup at the 14:30 mark that put R-MC ahead to stay at 55-54. The Yellow Jackets led 61-58 midway through the second half before the R-MC defense held W&L scoreless for more than seven minutes. The Yellow Jackets scored 11 straight points to lead 72-58 with three minutes remaining. The Generals got within six, but Anthony went 6 for 6 from the free throw line in the final 40 seconds as R-MC secured the 84-76 victory.
By The Numbers
- R-MC had four players score in double figures. Along with Adams and Anthony, Midulla paced the Yellow Jackets with 18 points and Bays put in 10.
- The Yellow Jackets held a slim 34-33 edge on the boards. R-MC has out-rebounded all eight of its opponents this season. Adams had a season-high 13 rebounds, one away from his career best.
- R-MC had a season-high 21 assists on its 34 field goals.
R-MC stays unbeaten at 8-0. The Yellow Jackets are off to their best start since the 2009-10 season, when R-MC began the season 13-0.
Randolph-Macon welcomes Emory & Henry to Crenshaw Gym on Saturday, Dec. 1 for a 4:30 p.m. ODAC contest.