OSWEGO, N.Y. – Freshman Julien Crittendon's 13 points in the final nine and half minutes of the contest lifted the Oswego State men's basketball team to a 73-63 win over Brockport. With the victory, the Lakers remain a perfect 6-0 on the season and improve to 2-0 in conference action.
- Final Score: Oswego 73, Brockport 63
- Location: Max Ziel Gymnasium, Laker Hall - Oswego, N.Y.
- Records: Oswego (6-0, 2-0) | Brockport (3-2, 1-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Laker frontcourt attack of Joe Sullivan and Tyler Pierre set the tone early, combining for the team's first nine points as Oswego opened up a 12-5 lead within the first three minutes of action.
- As Brockport countered with a 13-5 run of its own, 3-point specialist Quinn Carey knocked down his second trey of the game to regain the lead for the Lakers, 20-18, at the 12:25 mark in the first half.
- With nine minutes to go in the half, Sullivan, as the shot-clock was winding down, spun around and rattled in an elbow jumper at the buzzer to put the Lakers up 26-21.
- The scoring was back and forth to end the half as both teams tried to steal the momentum. Brandan Gartland, with just under four minutes to go, gave Oswego a 31-27 lead after he muscled his way down the baseline to convert a layup as he was fouled.
- Following Brockport taking the lead 35-33 with a minute remaining, Oswego closed the half on a 5-0 run to lead 38-35 at the break.
- Guard Liam Sanborn continued his rhythm from late in the first half, converting his second and-1 layup of the game to the give the Lakers a lead of 44-35 at the 17:04 mark.
- The defensive display for Oswego was key to start the second half, holding Brockport to just three points on 0-9 shooting from the field and forcing three turnovers in the first seven minutes.
- With just under 13 minutes remaining in the contest, Brockport responded with a 12-2 run to tie it up at 50-50 with just less than 10 minutes to go.
- Crittendon checked back into the game and provided an immediate spark with five straight points for the Lakers to help the team go up 55-50 and take a lead they would not relinquish again.
- With 4:37 left and the shot clock down to its final seconds, Carey drained a critical 3-point basket to give Oswego some separation and up the lead to 63-56.
- From that point forward, Oswego put away Brockport from the charity stripe, making 75.9% for the game and 6-for-6 the final 3:10 of regulation.
- Crittendon finished with a team-high 14 points (season-high), five boards and three assists.
- Scoring-by-committee was featured again for the Laker offense, as Sanborn (13), Gartland (12), Sullivan (11), Carey (11) and Pierre (10) made it six players in double-figures for Oswego.
- Oswego, No. 6 in the nation in rebound margin, won the rebound battle by a 43-39 margin, led by Gartland's career-high nine boards and Sullivan's eight.
- The Lakers, ranked No. 14 in the country heading into the contest in scoring defense (allowing 62 points per game), held the Brockport offense (80.3 ppg) to just 63 points on 39% shooting.
- Oswego has won each of its six games by double-digits and have held every opponent to 67 points or fewer.
The Lakers look to remain undefeated on the season as they head west to take on Buffalo State Friday at 7:30 p.m. for a conference matchup.