HAMPDEN-SYDNEY, Va. - Junior Corey Bays (Bel Air, Md./CM Wright) scored a career-high 24 points and senior Grayson Midulla (Glen Allen, Va./Glen Allen) added 20 points as the No. 16 Randolph-Macon men's basketball team registered a 92-71 win at Hampden-Sydney in ODAC action Wednesday evening.
Score: Randolph-Macon 92, Hampden-Sydney 71
Location/Venue: Hampden-Sydney, Va./Fleet Gymnasium
Records: R-MC 10-0, 4-0 ODAC; H-SC 4-3, 1-2 ODAC
How It Happened
- Bays had a pair of three-pointers to bookend a 10-0 start for the Yellow Jackets in the first two minutes of the contest. Senior Luke Neeley (Orange, Va./Woodberry Forest) came off the bench and buried two treys as the R-MC lead grew to 20-5 with 14:00 left in the first half. The Tigers put up 10 straight points to pull within five at 20-15 with 12:15 remaining in the first period. H-SC pulled within two at 22-20 before a three-point play by freshman Ian Robertson (Lewes, Del./Cape Henlopen) gave R-MC a 25-20 advantage with 8:15 left. A layup by junior Korey Turner (Midlothian, Va./Amelia Academy) gave the Yellow Jackets a 32-25 lead with 5:05 remaining. The Tigers again closed to within two before another three-pointer by Bays gave the visitors a 38-33 lead at intermission. Bays had 13 points in the first half to lead R-MC.
- Senior Darryl Williams (Columbia, Md./Glenelg Country) and Midulla had layups in the first minute of the second half as the advantage grew to nine at 42-33. A trey by Bays with 15:10 remaining put the Yellow Jackets up 55-39. Back-to-back treys by Bays gave R-MC a 16-point edge at 63-47 with 11:25 left. H-SC scored four straight before Anthony hit four free throws and a trey, and Midulla had two layups and a foul shot to make up a 12-5 run as the Yellow Jackets took a 75-56 lead with 7:00 remaining. Three straight buckets by Midulla gave R-MC an 83-63 advantage with 3:20 left. The Yellow Jackets scored five of their final nine points from the free throw line in claiming the 92-71 victory.
By The Numbers
- R-MC shot 52.4% from the floor (33-63) and 37% from behind the arc (10-27).
- The Yellow Jackets had four score in double figures. Along with Bays and Midulla, Anthony put up 15, including 11 in the second half, and Williams added 10.
- R-MC held a 40-30 advantage on the boards and held the Tigers to just four offensive rebounds. Midulla led the victors with seven rebounds.
- Anthony topped R-MC with five assists.
- R-MC is 10-0 for the first time since the 2009-10 season, when the Yellow Jackets started 13-0.
- Randolph-Macon stays on the road and will play at Christopher Newport on Saturday, Dec. 8 at 4 p.m.
The Sports Page Grille is Randolph-Macon Basketball's Official Viewing Headquarters. Visit The Sports Page at 504 England Street in Ashland.