• Score: Johns Hopkins-60, Haverford-48
• Records: JHU (10-5, 7-1 CC) • HC (6-9, 2-6 CC)
• Location: Haverford, PA • Gooding Arena
• The Short Story: The Johns Hopkins men's basketball team got a game-high 18 points from sophomore Joey Kern in a 60-48 win at Haverford Saturday afternoon.
How it Happened
• After trading buckets early, Hopkins used a 14-4 run to push out to a 10-point lead by the 13:04-mark. Senior Michael Gardner got things going with a pull-up jumper, followed by back-to-back three-pointers from Kern. Junior Harry O'Neil capped the run with a bucket underneath to put JHU on top 16-6.
• A pair of quick threes by Kahlil Garnes and Joe Scibelli sliced the Blue Jays' lead to just four less than two minutes later. The teams swapped scores for the next four and a half minutes and Hopkins' lead was 23-19 with 6:53 to go in the half.
• An O'Neil jumper sparked a quick 7-0 Blue Jay spurt, punctuated by a Braeden Johnson triple pushed the Jays' lead to 30-19 at the 2:32-mark. The double-digit lead was short-lived however as five straight points from Joey Hartman made it just a six-point game 85 seconds later. Senior Joey Fitzpatrick then hit one of two free throws and then a driving layup as the shot clock expired to give Hopkins a 33-24 lead at the half.
• Hopkins pushed its lead to 14 right out of the gates in the second with a three from Gardner and a fast-break layup by senior Noah Ralby. Joe Wujciak answered with a three-pointer of his own however to ignite 12-2 Fords' run that saw the Blue Jays' lead cut to just four with 13:04 on the clock. Four different Fords scored during the run, which spanned six minutes.
• Freshman Tom Quarry ended the run with a bucket from downtown, followed by a pair of free throws, and Hopkins was off and running. Gardner and Fitzpatrick then combined to go four-of-four from the line to stake Hopkins to a 49-36 lead at the 8:26-mark.
• The Fords weren't going away however and used a quick 6-1 burst to pull back within eight just two minutes later. The lead see-sawed up and down over the ensuing four minutes and the Blue Jays led 55-48 with 2:47 to play. That Hartman bucket with 2:47 to go turned out to be Haverford's final points of the afternoon as Hopkins scored the final five points.
What it Means
• Hopkins improves to 75-38 all-time against Haverford and has won three straight and 14 of the last 15.
Inside the Box Score
• Kern led all-scorers with 18 points while Gardner chipped in 10 points. Fitzpatrick led the team with six rebounds and Vila added three assists and a block.
• Scibelli led Haverford with 11 points and a game-high 15 rebounds with Hartman adding 12 points.
• The 48 points for the Fords are 21 below their season average and are a season low.
• Hopkins wraps up its three-game road swing on Wednesday, January 16 as the Blue Jays travel to Carlisle to take on the Dickinson Red Devils. Tip-off for the Centennial Conference contest is slated for 7:30 pm.