MAHWAH, N.J. – Sean Smith (Moraga, Calif./Campolindo)and Domenic Mignone (Rutherford, N.J./Rutherford)combine for 45 points and Saint Simeon Beaubrun(Irvington, N.J./Columbia) posted his second double-double of the season, but the William Paterson men's basketball team (10-6, 5-4 NJAC) could not connect on a game-tying three-pointer as time expired during an 81-78 road loss at Ramapo (11-5, 5-4 NJAC) Jan. 12.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Trailing by seven points at the 6:53 mark of the opening stanza, Smith's three-pointer capped off a 9-0 WP run as the visitors pulled ahead 27-25. The Roadrunners responded by outscoring the Pioneers 17-8 over the final 4:55 to take a 42-35 lead into the locker room.
- When play resumed, the Pioneers quickly tied things up at 43-43 thanks to treys from Mignone and Justin Lingat (Toms River, N.J./Toms River East). Back-to-back Smith trifectas, coupled with a Myles McLeod (Teaneck, N.J./Teaneck) jumper, gave William Paterson a 64-59 advantage with 9:26 to play before Ramapo used a 19-2 burst over the next five minutes to build a 12-point lead, 78-66. The Pioneers would not go quietly, slowing chipping away at the deficit until McLeod's jumper with 13 seconds left made it a one-possession affair, 81-78. Following a turnover by the Roadrunners, the Pioneers had a chance to send the game into overtime, but Jared Bennett's (Winslow Twp., N.J./Winslow Twp.) desperation heave at the buzzer didn't fall and the home team escaped with the victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Beaubrun pulled down a career-best 17 board to go along with 11 points and three assists, while Mignone dropped 19 tallied on 8-of-11 (.727) shooting from the field.
- Smith went 6-for-12 from beyond the arc en route to a game-high 26 points, his sixth 20+ scoring output this season.
- WP hosts Montclair State on Wednesday, Jan. 16, at 8:00 p.m.
FOLLOW THE PIONEERS: