• Score: Johns Hopkins-70, McDaniel-57
• Records: JHU (14-6, 11-2 CC) • MC (6-14, 2-11 CC)
• Location: Westminster, MD • Gill Center
• The Short Story: With the first bucket of the game, senior Michael Gardner scored his 1,000th career point and would finish with 25 in leading the Johns Hopkins men's basketball team to a 70-57 win at McDaniel.
How it Happened
• Hopkins jumped out to a 10-0 lead and never trailed in a game it won by 13. The Blue Jays capped the run with back-to-back triples. McDaniel finally got on the board with a DJ Harper triple at the 15:17-mark. That sparked an 8-3 spurt that saw the Blue Jays' lead trimmed to five by the 10:51-mark.
• Senior Daniel Vila halted the spurt with five unanswered points and Gardner followed with six straight points as Hopkins pushed out to a 24-8 lead with 7:21 to go. The teams traded buckets over the ensuing five minutes and it was a 15-point game.
• McDaniel pulled within 10 with 56 seconds to go on a Dragan Hornato layup and Mike Wallace triple. Vila closed out the half with a bucket in the paint to send Hopkins into the break with a 32-20 lead.
• The teams went back-and-forth through the first eight minutes of the second half and the Blue Jays' lead was 11. Freshman Braeden Johnson answered a pair of Aaron Washington free throws with back-to-back three-pointers to stake Hopkins to a 48-31 lead at 11:07.
• After swapping scores for nearly three minutes, McDaniel put together an 8-0 run that trimmed the deficit to nine with 6:42 to play. JHU answered with an 8-2 spurt, bookended by Gardner and Joey Kern's triples, to push out to a 63-48 lead.
• The Green Terror put together one last run, pulling back within nine at the 1:26-mark. Washington fueled the run with six of the Terror's eight points. The Blue Jays closed out the win by going five-of-six from the free throw line in the final 62 seconds.
What it Means
• Hopkins improves to 88-77-1 all-time against McDaniel and has won six straight in the series. The Blue Jays have also won nine of the last 11 against the Terror.
Inside the Box Score
• Gardner became the 17th player in program history to reach 1,000 career points. He finished the game with 24 points and now ranks 16th in school history with 1,024 points. Gardner also pulled seven boards and handed out five assists.
• Vila added 12 points, seven rebounds and two blocks and moved into fourth place in JHU history with 124 blocks. Johnson chipped in 12 points, all coming from downtown, and grabbed a team and career-best eight rebounds. Kern also finished in double figures, putting up 11 points.
• Washington led the Terror with 24 points while Harper added 12 points and a game-high nine rebounds.
• Hopkins is back on the road on Saturday as the Blue Jays travel to Allentown to take on Muhlenberg. Tip-off at Memorial Hall is slated for 4:00 pm.