UW-Whitewater Men Down UW-Stout on Late Basket

More news about: UW-Whitewater

The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater men's basketball team used strong late-game execution Saturday afternoon to secure a 79-77 victory at UW-Stout in a Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference game in Menomonie, Wis.


Trailing by three with 1:25 to play, the Warhawks (15-8 overall, 4-8 WIAC) freed up senior guard Dalton Menke, who entered the weekend as the WIAC leader in 3-point field goal percentage, for a game-tying 3-pointer with 52 seconds remaining to level the score at 77-77.


UW-Whitewater forced a missed 3-pointer on the other end, and senior guard Andre Brown converted a runner with 4.9 seconds on the clock to put the team ahead.


After consecutive timeouts by the Blue Devils (6-17, 0-12), a 3-pointer hit the rim and bounced out as the Warhawks clinched their third true road win in conference play of the season.


Brown finished with a team-high 19 points to go along with three assists and two steals, and Menke collected 15 points on five made 3-pointers off the bench to go with six rebounds.


Senior guards Mitchell Pfeifer and David Sachs contributed 11 points apiece. Senior forward Melvin Brown Jr. tallied eight points, five rebounds and two steals, and junior forward Riley Jensen recorded six points and a team-high seven rebounds.


The two teams traded the lead over the first 10 minutes of action before UW-Stout opened up a 21-14 advantage at the 8:28 mark. UW-Whitewater responded, eventually tying the game at 30-30 with 2:29 on the clock on a 3-pointer by Menke and taking a 34-30 lead into halftime on free throws by Sachs and a layup at the buzzer by Jensen.


Senior forward Derek Rongstad gave the Warhawks a six-point lead early in the second half before the Blue Devils posted a 10-0 run to take a 40-36 advantage with 16:58 to play.


UW-Whitewater stayed within seven points over the next eight minutes before tying the game and taking the lead on Brown's 3-point play at the 8:22 mark.


From there, the game was tied three more times before UW-Stout retook the lead and extended it out to five points with 4:28 remaining.


Menke hit a clutch 3-pointer on the next possession to bring the Warhawks within two, and Brown and Menke combined to score UW-Whitewater's final 16 points of the contest.


The Warhawks start the final week of the regular season Wednesday at home against UW-Platteville. Tipoff on All-American Night at Kachel Gymnasium is slated for 7 p.m.