HARRISONBURG, Va. - Senior Luke Neeley (Orange, Va./Woodberry Forest) went 8 for 10 on three-pointers in scoring a career-best 26 points in 21 minutes as the 5th-ranked Randolph-Macon men's basketball team won 91-65 at Eastern Mennonite in ODAC action on Saturday evening to conclude the regular season.
Score: Randolph-Macon 91, Eastern Mennonite 65
Location/Venue: Harrisonburg, Va./Yoder Arena
Records: R-MC 23-2, 15-1 ODAC; EMU 10-15, ODAC 5-11
How It Happened
- Senior Grayson Midulla (Glen Allen, Va./Glen Allen) and Neeley hit early three-pointers to give the Yellow Jackets a quick 6-0 lead. The Royals made it a one-point contest at 12-11 before a jumper by sophomore David Funderburg (Greensboro, N.C./Northwest Guilford) capped an 8-2 run as R-MC built a 20-13 advantage with 11:05 left in the first half. After a bucket by EMU cut the deficit to five, Midulla had a layup and a trey to finish off a 10-0 spurt as the Yellow Jackets went up 30-15 with 8:10 remaining. A three-pointer by Neeley doubled up EMU 38-19 with just under four minutes left. Freshman Ian Robertson (Lewes, Del./Cape Henlopen) ended the half with a three-pointer and a dunk as the lead grew to 22 at 43-21. R-MC shot 59% from the floor (17-29) and 53.3% beyond the arc (8-15). Midulla had 10 points, while Neeley added 9, Robertson put in 8 and sophomore Buzz Anthony (Arnold, Md./Archbishop Spalding) scored 7.
- Neeley hit three more treys and Anthony made a layup, pushing the lead to 30 at 54-24 with 17 minutes remaining in the contest. A three-pointer by Anthony gave the visitors their largest lead of the game at 59-28 with 15:30 left. The Royals would get no closer than 23 the rest of the way as R-MC registered the 91-65 victory.
By The Numbers
- Neeley set career marks with 9 field goals and 8 three-pointers. He tied his career best with 10 three-point attempts.
- R-MC had four players score in double figures. Robertson put up 13, while Midulla and Anthony each scored a dozen.
- The Yellow Jackets shot 58% from the floor (37-64) and 53% beyond the arc (16-30).
- Robertson paced the victors with 6 rebounds.
- Midulla and sophomore Terry Woods (Burlington, N.C./Burlington School) led R-MC with 5 assists each.
- R-MC entered the game No. 2 in the nation in scoring margin at +19.8. That margin will improve after a 26-point victory.
- Randolph-Macon will be the No. 1 seed in next week's ODAC Tournament. The Yellow Jacket will play at 1 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 21 in a quarterfinal match in the Salem Civic Center against the winner of the #8 vs. #9 first-round ODAC tourney tilt.