Center Valley, PA (February 21, 2019) - The DeSales University men's basketball team held Delaware Valley University to just 28.1 percent shooting earning a 62-50 win over the Aggies in the MAC Freedom postseason tournament semifinals on Thursday evening in Billera Hall.
- Final Score: DeSales - 62, Delaware Valley - 50
- Records: DeSales (20-6 overall); Delaware Valley (11-14 overall)
- DeSales earns a spot in the MAC Freedom Championship game on Saturday where it will host Wilkes University beginning at 4:00 pm.
- It is DSU's third straight appearance in the MAC Freedom title game.
- The Bulldogs also win its 20th game for the 13th time in team history.
How it Happened
- The Aggies opened this one strong taking an 11-point lead early and led by 10 (21-11) before DeSales used a 10-2 run to get within two points (23-21) with 5:33 left in the opening half.
- Down one with 2:37 left, DVU was the only team to score the rest of the way taking a 29-26 lead into the halftime locker room.
- The game was a defensive back-and-forth battle to start the second-half as neither team led by more than three points over the first nine minutes.
- Down two, DeSales used a 11-0 run to turn a two-point deficit into a nine-point lead a the 8:50 mark.
- Sophomore Timmy Edwards scored the first eight points of the spurt and senior Luke Connaghan capped it off with a three-pointer from the left wing.
- The Aggies got within seven but DSU then scored the next 10 points to open up a 17-point lead, with Edwards scoring six of the 10, and DeSales never looked back from there.
- Delaware Valley got within 10 with just over a minute left but back-to-back dunks from freshman Keba Mitchell and Connaghan provided the final tally.
Top Bulldog Performers
- Edwards was once again outstanding with 22 points on 7-of-10 shooting and added six rebounds.
- Connaghan finished with 12 points and pulled down nine boards.
- Junior Julian Wing finished with 10 points.
For the Foes
- Lybrant Robinson was the lone double figure scorer for the Aggies, finishing with 13 points.
Inside the Box Score
- Delaware Valley was just 18-for-64 (.281) from the field in the loss.
- DeSales hit 46.9 percent from the field and dominated the glass out-rebounding the Aggies, 46-35.
- The Bulldogs committed 21 turnovers but they only led to 13 Aggie points where as 12 Delaware Valley turnovers led to 19 Bulldog points.