PLATTSBURGH, N.Y.— Plattsburgh outscored the Bengals 20-9 in the second quarter and forced 26 Buffalo State turnovers en route to a 71-67 victory in SUNYAC play this afternoon.
FINAL SCORE: Plattsburgh - 71, Buffalo State - 67
LOCATION: Memorial Hall – Plattsburgh, N.Y.
RECORDS: Plattsburgh (6-8, 3-4 SUNYAC), Buffalo State (8-5, 2-4 SUNYAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Katie Villarini (Hamburg/Hamburg) led the Bengals in scoring with 19 points and matched a career-high with eight assists.
- Princella McCullough (Rochester/Bishop Kearney) chipped in her 18th career double-double with 17 points and 13 rebounds.
- Liv LeBaron (Corning/Corning East) added her 10th career double-double with 13 points and 11 rebounds.
- Both teams matched each other point-for-point for much of the first quarter until a late 3-pointer by Grace Licata (Williamsville/Williamsville South) gave the Bengals a 22-19 lead at the first intermission.
- Plattsburgh outscored Buffalo State 20-9 in the second frame, including six of the final eight points to take a 39-31 lead into the halftime break.
- The Bengals responded after halftime with an early 14-9 run to trim the lead down to 48-45 with just over three minutes left in the third stanza.
- The Cardinals contained the Buffalo State momentum for the remainder of the quarter as they held onto a 58-53 lead going into the final intermission.
- Buffalo State opened the fourth quarter on a 12-3 run fueled by eight points from Villarini as the Bengals recaptured the lead and extended it to 65-61 with six minutes left in the contest.
- Both teams traded points for the next five minutes until a layup gave Plattsburgh a 69-67 lead with 53 seconds left.
- Buffalo State finished with turnovers on its last two possessions as the Cardinals connected on a pair of free-throws in the finals seconds to complete the win.
- Plattsburgh held an edge in fast break points (15-5), points in the paint (36-24) and points off turnovers (16-14) in the contest.
FOR THE FOES
- Taylor Durnin paced the Cardinals' offense with 22 points to go along with eight assists.
- Kelly Degnan added 10 points while Ly'rell Walker chipped in eight points and 14 rebounds.
Buffalo State hosts Oneonta in a SUNYAC contest next Friday at 5:30 p.m.